Saturday, August 1, 2020

Meet The New Rider Scottie Ray # 1014





Hi, I’m Scottie Ray and I’m looking forward to the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge 2020! I live in Cantonment, FL (just outside of Pensacola) with my wife and two sons.  I’ve been riding for about 17 years and really enjoy seeing the country on two wheels.  When I am not riding, you can find me usually tinkering with some ideas on Texas style BBQ, cooking, listening to music or planning a weekend trip somewhere.  My work keeps me hopping, so spending time with my boys is always important when I am home. 

 I first heard about the HHMC from a riding buddy about 5-6 years ago.  Since then, I have been reading about it and trying to figure out how I could test myself and participate.  The idea of 10,000 miles in a couple of weeks with your wits, the country side, your inner monologue, and the elements is a challenge that I want to experience. However, when I read deeper into some of the blogs and posts by past riders, it was the focus on their chosen charities that struck a nerve with me that I have not been able to shake.  The stars aligned this year in my schedule and I am super excited to do this to learn about myself as a person and rider while doing some good for those less fortunate than I.To be frank, I am not sure what to expect.  I expect that the challenge will probably not really hit me until the second week on the road.  While I have done a ton of long distance riding and long days in all kinds of elements, this challenge brings it to a whole new level.  I expect to learn about my own focus, drive and ability to push through those obstacles.  I also expect that I will meet a new community of riders and friends that share common desires and through the shared experience hopefully will generate friendships that last a lifetime.



Since I am new and I do not really know anyone personally that has done it, most of the advice has been just what I have seen in blogs and posts.   There seem to be a lot on preparation of all types, and many have mentioned the role that fitness can play into an endurance challenge of this type.  Probably the best advice though for me is to build a group of supporters that will help you meet your goals, encourage you as prep and raise funds for charity.  I am really fortunate to have the full backing of my friends, company and my family for this ride.  Everyone that knows me has been 100% supportive and removing any obstacles that there might be.  This is awesome for me and is allowing to really focus on preparing to do the things required to meet the challenge!


I was on a “Last Ride of the Year” in Alabama with some buddies 5-6 or six years ago when I first learned of the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge.  I had done two solo trips that year from Florida to South Dakota and then to Nevada and we were talking about long distance riding. One of the guys brought up the HHMC --I hadn’t heard of it-- and that began my intrigue, and as I learned more, I knew I wanted to be a part of that community.
I think the idea that it is so much more than a challenge.  That it is a way to make a statement of action to do something for someone or a group of folks that need help.  To take the action of pushing yourself so hard for so long and turning that determination into actionable results for the good for others.  That intersection of self examination and focus on others is really pretty incredible when you think about it!

I am raising finds this year for Crescent Cove organization in Minneapolis MN.  Crescent Cove offers care and support to children and young adults with a shortened life-expectancy, and their families who love them.
The Crescent Cove Respite & Hospice Home for Kids is a vibrant and joyful home-away-from home for kids with life-threatening conditions, where each moment is embraced and celebrated. All services and stays provided at Crescent Cove to kids and families are at NO COST thanks to the generosity of donors who make this possible.
There are 4700 hospice and pallative care centers in the US.  There are only 3 that are focused on children and young people with life threatening conditions.  For me, so many charities are focused (rightly so) on finding cures for terrible and life-threatening diseases.  The sad truth is that for some kids and young people, there is no cure.  Their life should not be confined to standard hospital experiences as the way they spend their days.  Their parents and family should be able to life those moments with dignity, vitality and compassionate care. 

If you want to see the power of this place check out this YouTube!

My donation link can be found here!

No comments:

Post a Comment