Thursday, August 6, 2020

Meet The New Rider Keith Herve # 1023


My name is Keith (Bakedalaskan) and I have ridden motorcycles since I was 10 years old. I rode a 1967 Triumph Bonneville before I owned a car. I have owned many motorcycles from dirt bikes to cruisers. .
I have ridden a Harley Ultra Classic to Prudhoe Bay and Goose Bay Labrador.
I have ridden an adventure bike to: Prudhoe Bay, Inuvik, NWT, Yellowknife, NWT, Raddison ,QB, Goose Bay ,LB. I have completed the Trans America Trail and have ridden the LA-Barsto to Vegas dual sport event.
My longest single trip was 22,000 miles. Tampa, FL to St Johns, Newfoundland to Goose bay Labrador trans Canada Highway to Port Hardy, British Columbia to Prudhoe Bay then completing an Iron Butt Ultimate Coast to Coast ending in Key West, FL. Done on a Harley Ultra Classic.
I have done three 10,000-mile round trips from Fairbanks, AK to Tampa, Fl.
I rode a Kawasaki KLR 650 round trip from Bae-Comeau , Quebec to Cartwright, Labrador in February 2010. That was 1800 miles of ice road on studded tires. The temperature was -20F for three days in a row during this trip. Google 2010 Frozen Butt Tour and watch this video to get a feel for what it was like.  www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_nhGhDAVyc
I live in Alaska and like to do pretty much anything outdoors. I enjoy exploring remote places in Alaska and Northern Canada and would certainly be trying to catch lake trout on these adventures. I ride snowmobiles during the winter and prefer deep powder mountain riding the most. People want to know what I like to do and the answer is difficult because if it involves a challenge or traveling, I will do it. If you have a broken-down ARGO in the middle of nowhere, I will go get it. Want to build a cabin off the grid, I will help.
Now that I am retired what I seem to be doing most is traveling. I don’t mind burning fuel whether it is behind the handlebars or steering wheel. Sometimes two wheels will just not get the job done especially when it involves the grandchildren. My wife rides her own Street Glide and is my primary riding partner who has no problem knocking out 600-mile days. I enjoy watching the scenery change. It is fun to leave Alaska in April; if the roads have cleared up, and note when there is no more snow in the ditches and where you start to see green leaves starting to come out in the trees. Going from dairy farms to corn country to cattle country. Looking at the tractors, combines and all the other farm equipment along a route. Noticing that in this particular region most are driving Ford pickups when the next county over everybody is in a Dodge. I will say that I was amazed about how many Teslas I saw in Vancouver, British Columbia.
When I first learned about the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge I was at a gathering in Kenai, Alaska. I had just arrived on my bike after riding up from Tampa, Florida. My friend said “ Dude you should do the Hoka Hey!” What the fox hat? It starts in Key West and follows a certain route and ends in Homer. First rider there gets a prize. I would love to do that. I have done that round trip several times but I am over the racing part. I would do it just for the adventure and what an excuse for a long trip. This was in 2010. The Hoka Hey has been in my sights ever since and I am finally able to spare the time in 2020.
I like the way the Hoka Hey has evolved from a race to an individual challenge. I have ridden many events using only turn by turn directions to include crossing the US on the Trans America trail. Living in Alaska, almost every ride is a long cross continent adventure. Camping is the easiest way to go in the North Country and I am well equipped for that. I have done so many long-distance rides that you can call me this afternoon and I can be on the road the next morning with no preparation. A question I always get after a long-distance ride is “I bet you are glad to be off of that bike?” The answer is no, not really. The adventure is over. For days I have listened to all kinds of music, daydreamed, solved the worlds problems and made up jokes. Now that I am not riding, what do I do? By the way, I told that story the other day at the zoo and the hyenas were laughing their asses off.
The Hoka Hey is an excuse for me to go for a long ride to who knows where by who knows what route. Following a specific route is an adventure and a fun challenge I look forward to. I know I will see amazing places and meet amazing people and have a great time.
I guess I have not been seeking advice for this ride mostly because I think too many try to overthink it. You can’t prepare for every situation and I know that anything I have spare parts for will not need to be fixed. Only the things I don’t have parts for will break. The only map I don’t have is the one I really need.
Much of my riding is in the far north and as a result, headlights are not necessary no matter what time of day. Staying awake while the sun is still up is generally not a problem. One of my concerns is animal encounters in the dark while riding. Another is having to maintain a strenuous pace to finish on time. Remember; I like long distances but don’t want to be on a time schedule. I think a lot of this is mental because I travel these distances all the time. Because I feel good and want to not because I have to. Lastly I worry about getting chewed out for sleeping some place I don’t belong.
I will be raising money for The Shiners Hospital. I have been an active Freemason and Shriner for 48 years. We are very proud of our hospitals and all our kids are treated free of charge no matter what their family background is.



No comments:

Post a Comment