Monday, May 11, 2020

Meet The Rider Steve Prior # 910



Hello all.........I'm Steve Prior from Calgary Alberta Canada and 2020 will be my second Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge.  With the loving support of my life partner Bonnie, I completed my first Challenge in 2018 and it was a life-altering experience.  Some of the many things that pleasantly surprised me: Riding very late at night is a bit spooky but also quite surreal; I can actually sleep on the ground and have since become an avid motorcycle tent camper; 13 days of riding 16-18 hours a day flies by; family and friends tracking your movement and location has a pretty cool feel to it; and overall, the Challenge is one of the funnest things I have ever done.  What did not surprise me was the tremendous team that brings the Hoka Hey community together and the camaraderie and kinship of the Hoka Hey riders. 


Since the 2018 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge I’ve been amazed to run across motorcycles with Hoka Hey participant decals and numbers. Usually encounters are fleeting but these give a great feeling of connection. This, combined with events organized by the Hoka Hey organizing team such as the meet-up in Tennessee last year, assure me I am part of something incredible. 
Lucky for me Bonnie loves her work which allowed me to retire while I still have good health and energy. I spend a good deal of time on the road, mostly with the Harley, but last year I also got into off-road riding (KLR 650). Even more recently I rekindled my interest in snowmobiling after a 30 year break.  Bonnie and I have two grown daughters who support my riding passion and one of my goals in the near term is to see if I can't get one or both of them "into" riding with me.  When not burning fossil fuels I enjoy building/remodeling projects, snow skiing, yard care and generally looking after Bonnie so she doesn't kick me back to work. 
For those attempting the Challenge for the first time my simple advice is don't over-pack, think about getting some auxiliary lighting, and for gosh sakes, if you're tired on the ride, stop and take a nap. More experienced riders will surely have better advice but these bits helped me my first time. 
In 2018 I was inspired by fund-raising efforts of fellow riders and my 2020 goal is to raise $1000 for the Boys & Girls Club of Calgary. Our children have so much coming at them and I think some can feel overwhelmed and fall into unhealthy choices. Boys & Girls Clubs are there to help children and youth lead healthy, happy lives and I am proud to promote and support this worthy organization. 
Looking forward to Panama City Beach, August 2020!

No comments:

Post a Comment