Monday, June 29, 2020

Meet The New Rider Pat Humphrey # 975

I have been a motorcyclist and bicyclist my entire life and both became passions and prominent in my adult life.  I have ridden bicycle across the Midwest for 40 years with annual miles anywhere between 2,500 and 5,000.  My miles on motorcycle were about the same but with clearly less time invested and usually included bars, mischief and trouble. 5 years ago, I found out I had a cardiac problem and my health and life were in jeopardy. I had to confront my demons, admit I was an alcoholic, and change my lifestyle.  I started attending AA meetings, had several cardiac procedures to repair damage and instead of long distance bicycle rides, I started taking cross country motorcycle rides.  I did not know anyone who rode motorcycles that did not drink and thus I was solo most of the time.  I searched and found a sober MC (Second Chance MC) and began prospecting where I was introduced to many men like myself. 
   I had heard about Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge almost as a myth in conversations the past 4 years.  I have heard people talk about HHMC and say that they would never have taken a trip like this without the HHMC organization. I want the challenge. My expectations are simple (and as I think about it very similar to boot camp): 1) I want to finish. 2) I want to come out the other side with a new appreciation of my abilities. The best advice I have been given about riding the HHMC? Ride until it hurts. Figure out how avoid that hurt or alleviate it.  Repeat until you don’t hurt anymore. My challenge was health related.  I needed to become healthy enough that I could ride for 2 weeks and feel confident that I could finish.

I heard about the challenge through a club brother who signed up but was unable to attend a previous ride.  I was immediately fascinated and began researching and planning. The combination of ride, nature and looking for something within myself and become closer to my higher power.  Similar to the vision quests of the Lakota nation.

Although, I can not give to AA directly because of the traditions of this organization. I can raise money to support other organizations affiliated with AA that work to help those addicted to drugs and alcohol.




No comments:

Post a Comment