Well it's that time again to bond human being with machine and become one to take on the 2026 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge, one more time. I will be turning 79 years old this year and have been blessed with relatively good health so it's hard to say no to the challenge especially as this year it starts and returns to my old stomping grounds Woodstock Illinois.
This will be my 5th Hoka Hey And according to my wife my last, maybe. This long distance riding, especially the challenge, gets into your blood and besides it's a good excuse to leave the worries behind of everyday life and hit the road. This year I haven't been riding as much as I usually do. Maggie and I made the annual Taco run in medicine park earlier this year and then headed out to Illinois to visit our daughter back in the northwest suburbs of Chicago.
Last July I purchased a 2025 ultra street glide and have outfitted it with the pizza box and custom saddlebags. I've added a couple hard boxes on top of the pizza box to securely house my helmet and other gear. As most of you know I don't wear my helmet all the time but there will be states where I have to wear the helmet because of the law and I need to pack the helmet along with me. Two years ago the helmet came in handy when I crashed but I still got a concussion and suffered bleeding on the brain which sidelined me for a couple days in the hospital but I still made it to Homer Alaska after releasing myself from the hospital against doctor's orders. Can you say stubborn old man? I hope I've learned a lesson from that experience but again they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, I guess we'll see.
I'm riding this year for Mile Monsters Inc. The money we raise doesn't go to a big corporation or foundation. The money we raise we see directly affecting young boys lives. Boys we have met and shared time with. The money we raise, we can see the actual direct effect to these boys and their families. You don't see that direct manifestation by giving to some national fundraising foundation. That's why I have chosen Mile Monsters, Inc.
There aren't too many of us old Gray hairs (what hair you say) still knocking out 10,000 miles in 12 days on two wheels, but I'll be there doing my thing.
Gopher, Hoka Hey !!



No comments:
Post a Comment